This is block #17 in the Civil War Block-of-the-Week series offered by Barbara Brackman. It is called Comfort Quilt. Go to Barbara’s blog to get the pattern and to see the story and pictures related to this block.
This is a nice, easy block. For new quilters, this is how I assembled the block.
- Cut the pieces as directed on Barbara’s blog. Note that there is apparently a typo at the end of the cutting list (C – Cut 4 light triangles 2-1/4″).
- Lay pieces out on a mat in the proper order.
- Make the center patch first. Join rows 1, 2 and 3 of the patch, pressing toward the dark fabric. The piece should measure 5×5 inches.
- Add B rectangles to sides of center patch, pressing toward rectangle B
- Sew squares A to ends of rectangles B, pressing toward the center.
- Join A/B rectangles to top and bottom of center patch. Piece should measure 8-1/2 x 8-1/2 inches.
See the previous blocks in this series in my category list on the right hand side of the page – Quilting – Civil War Block.