This is block #21 in the Civil War Block-of-the-Week series offered by Barbara Brackman. It is called Underground Railroad. Go to Barbara’s blog to get the pattern and to see the story and pictures related to this block.
This is a very easy block. I cut and sewed the pieces in a manner that made it even easier.
- A – Cut 1 medium and 1 dark square 4-7/8 inches. Draw or press a line diagonally on the medium square and place it on top of the dark square, right sides together. Sew 1/4 inch from the line on each side.
- Cut along line and press toward dark fabric. Trim tails. Pieces should measure 4-1/2 x 4-1/2 inches.
- B – Cut 1 light and 1 dark strip 2-1/2 inches x 10 inches. Place strips right sides together and sew a 1/4 inch seam lengthwise. Press toward dark fabric and sub-cut into 2-1/2 inch wide pieces.
- Lay out the pieces in the proper order on a mat.
- Join B pieces. Square should measure 4-1/2 x 4-1/2 inches
- Join pieces in row 1 and row 2, pressing in opposite directions so that seams will interlock.
- Join rows 1 and 2. Piece should measure 8-1/2 x 8-1/2 inches.
See the previous blocks in this series in my category list on the right hand side of the page – Quilting – Civil War Quilt.