This is block #24 in the Civil War block-of-the-week series offered by Barbara Brackman. It is called Ladies’ Aid Album. Go to Barbara’s blog to get the pattern and to see the story and pictures related to this block.
Cut the pieces according to Barbara’s instructions. For new quilters, this is how I assembled the block.
- Lay out the pieces in the proper order on a mat.
- Join two triangles D to triangle C to make a rectangle.
- Press toward dark fabric and trim points. Make 4 of these pieces.
- Add a B strip to the top of each of these pieces. Piece should measure 3 x 3-1/2 inches.
- Add an A square to either side of two of these rectangles. Press toward square A. Piece should measure 3 inches x 8-1/2 inches.
- Make center strip by joining square E in the center of these two rectangles. If the center is fussy-cut, check to be sure it’s facing in the right direction. Press seams toward center square.
- Join row 1 to the center strip.
- Join row 3 to the center strip to make an 8-1/2 x 8-1/2 inch block.
See the previous blocks in this series in my category list on the right hand side of the page – Quilting – Civil War Quilt.