This is block #26 in the Civil War block-of-the-week series offered by Barbara Brackman. It is called Barbara Frietchie Star. Go to Barbara’s blog to get the pattern and to see the story and pictures related to this block.
For new quilters, this is how I cut, pieced and assembled the block:
- Cut 2-7/8 inch squares as follows:
- Center: 2 medium light and 2 medium dark
- Points: 4 dark and 4 light
- Corners: 2 medium and 2 light
- To make half-square triangles, in each portion, press or draw a line diagonally on the lighter square. Place the lighter square on top of darker square and stitch ¼ inch from pressed/drawn line.
- Cut on line, press toward dark fabric and trim tails. Pieces should measure 2-½ x 2-½ inches.
- For the center you should have four half-square triangles which will be placed to form a pinwheel.
- For the points there should be 8 half-square triangles which are arranged to form points around the center square.
- For the corners, there should be 4 half-square triangles .
- Join 4 patches for each corner. These squares should measure 4-½ x 4-½ inches.
- Join top row and then row 2.
- Join rows 1 and 2 to make a block 8-½ x 8-½ inches
See the previous blocks in this series in my category list on the right hand side of the page – Quilting – Civil War Quilt.