This is block #36 in the Civil War block-of-the-week series by Barbara Brackman. It is called Kentucky Crossroads. Go to Barbara’s blog to get the pattern and to see the story and pictures related to this block.
This is an easy block and an interesting one. For new quilters, this is how I assembled the block. Use ¼ inch seams throughout.
- Cut pieces according to Barbara’s directions.
- Place pieces on a mat in the proper order.
- Stitch an A strip to either side of C. Press toward C. This piece should measure 12-3/8 inches long
- Stitch a B triangle to either side of the 2 remaining A strips. Press toward B
- Join the three sections together, pressing away from the center.
- Be sure the piece measures 8-½ inches through the center
- Then trim to make an 8-½ x 8-½ inch block
See the previous blocks in this series in my category list on the right hand side of the page – Quilting – Civil War Quilt.