This is block #42 in the Civil War block-of-the-week series offered by Barbara Brackman. It is called H is for Hospital. Go to Barbara’s blog to get the pattern and to see the story and pictures related to this block.
This is an easy block. For new quilters, this is how I assembled the block:
- Cut pieces according to Barbara’s instructions.
- Lay out the pieces on a mat in the proper order.
- Piece a B strip to either side of A square. Use ¼ inch seams and press toward the darker fabric throughout.
- Sew together the 3 strips on either side
- Join the triple strips to each side of the center strip.
- Trim the edges to make an 8-½ inch square.
See the previous blocks in this series in my category list on the right hand side of the page – Quilting – Civil War Quilt.