This is block #43 in the Civil War block-of-the-week series offered by Barbara Brackman. It is called Right Hand of Friendship. Go to Barbara’s blog to get the pattern and to see the story and pictures related to this block.
I enjoyed sewing this block and thought it turned out very pretty. For new quilters, this is how I assembled the block:
- Cut pieces according to Barbara’s directions.
- Lay pieces on a mat in the proper order.
- Stitch a triangle B to either side of square A. Make two with red sides and two with blue sides. There will be a ¼ inch tail on either side. Press and trim tails.
- Join the C triangles to form the center square. Press and trim tails.
- Add the background B triangles to the red units only. There will be a ¼ inch tail on one end. Press and trim tails.
- Join the blue units to the center square. Press.
- Add the red units to the sides. Press. Block should measure 8-½ x 8-½ inches.