This is block #49 in the Civil War block-of-the-week series offered by Barbara Brackman. It is called Yankee Puzzle. Go to Barbara’s blog to get the pattern and to see the story and pictures related to this block.
This is an easy block and fun to make. For new quilters, this is how I assembled the block.
- Cut pieces according to Barbara’s instructions.
- Lay out the pieces on a mat in the proper order.
- Piece according to Barbara’s instructions: A light triangle to a medium light triangle; a dark triangle to a medium triangle. Press toward darker fabric. Join these two pieces to make a square. Repeat with the remaining 3 blocks.
- Press and trim tails. The squares should measure 4-½ x 4-½ inches.
- Join the top row, pressing to the left.
- Join the bottom row, pressing to the right.
- Join the two rows. Piece should measure 8-½ x 8-½ inches.
See the previous blocks in this series in my category list on the right hand side of the page – Quilting – Civil War Quilt.