This is block #50 in the Civil War block-of-the-week series offered by Barbara Brackman. It is called Grapes of Wrath. Go to Barbara’s blog to get the pattern and to see the story and pictures related to this block.
This block is a little more difficult and is a very pretty block. The fabric in my light purple grapes shows up better in person than it does here. I probably should have used a slightly darker color. For new quilters, this is how I assembled the block:
- Cut out the pieces according to Barbara’s directions.
- Lay out the pieces on a mat in the proper order.
- Piece according to Barbara’s directions: Piece a light E to either side of a B triangle. These two pieces should measure 2-½ inches x 4-½ inches.
- Add a square A to one of these units on the left hand side. This unit should measure 2-½ x 6-½ inches.
- Piece one light purple E to a dark E to make a square.
- Add a dark E to either side of that square to make a larger triangle.
- Piece that triangle to the medium triangle B. Piece should measure 4-½ x 4-½ inches.
- Add the shorter edge unit to the side. Unit should measure 4-½ x 6-½ inches.
- Add the longer edge unit to the top.
- Piece one E triangle to the C rectangles. Be sure you have them going in the right direction.
- Add those units to the sides of the basket.
- Finish out the block with D background triangle. Block should measure 8-½ x 8-½ inches.
See the previous blocks in this series in my category list on the right hand side of the page – Quilting – Civil War Quilt.