This is block #51 in the Civil War block-of-the-week series offered by Barbara Brackman. It is called New York. Go to Barbara’s blog to get the pattern and to see the story and pictures related to this block.
This is an easy block. For new quilters, this is how I assembled the block:
- Cut out pieces per Barbara’s directions.
- Lay out the pieces on a mat in the proper order.
- Follow Barbara’s instructions for stitching: Piece a white strip B to either side of red strip B. The piece should measure 4-½ x 4-½ inches.
- Piece red strip C to either side of white strip C. The piece should measure 4-½ x 8-½ inches.
- Piece blue field A to the left of the B strips.
- Join the two units to make a flag 8-½ x 8-½ inches.
See the previous blocks in this series in my category list on the right hand side of the page – Quilting – Civil War Quilt.