My youngest daughter loved the bourbon fudge she had ordered online and I put together this recipe to try to duplicate it. It’s not exactly the same, but very good and very easy to make. This is an adult candy but the bourbon flavor is not too strong. It just adds a nice mellow taste to a creamy, rich fudge.
MOM’S BOURBON PECAN FUDGE
4 cups Ghirardelli milk chocolate chips (two 11.5 oz. packages)*
14-oz can Eagle Brand condensed milk
Dash of salt
¼ cup bourbon
1 cup coarsely chopped pecans
* You could use any kind of chocolate chips – our family is partial to both milk chocolate and Ghirardelli chips.
- Line an 8-inch pan with foil and butter the foil.
- In a large heavy saucepan, place chocolate chips, condensed milk and salt. Cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly until chips are melted.
- Remove from heat. Stir in bourbon gradually, stirring until smooth. Stir in chopped pecans.
- Pour into prepared pan and refrigerate for 4-5 hours until fudge is set and completely cool – the top should feel solid.
- Remove candy from pan by lifting foil. Peel foil from bottom of fudge and place on a cutting board. Score the fudge into the size pieces you prefer. The eight-inch pan will hold fudge that is about one-inch thick. Cut the fudge into squares.**
Store in a tightly covered container. Once the fudge is set, refrigeration is not needed – store at room temperature.
**Makes 16 two-inch squares of fudge. Note that these are BIG pieces of fudge. You could also use a nine-inch pan and cut the candy into smaller squares.