Civil War Quilt – Putting it Together

Now, that the 53rd block in Barbara Brackman’s Civil War series is completed, I’m ready to begin putting the blocks together.  I don’t have a large design wall and I’m too old to get down on the floor to lay out blocks, so I turned to my Electric Quilt software.  I took pictures of the blocks as they were sewn, so it was easy to import the images in that order.  (I was waiting for the final block to be posted on this printout.)

Since my daughter who will be receiving the quilt wanted a particular custom size, I created a layout using 47 of the 53 blocks and made up one extra Sawtooth block so I could use an additional family picture.  I planned on 1 inch finished sashing and borders measuring 3 inches at the top, 2 inches at the bottom and sides to reach the required dimensions.

I used this printout to choose which blocks to eliminate and to switch the blocks around the way I thought they would look best.  This was all done on the computer – then I had another layout to work with.

In a large binder, I have been keeping the blocks in a plastic holder along with the original instructions and my notes.

Using the printout of the revised layout, I placed the blocks and instructions in sets according to row.

I took one row of blocks with me when I went shopping for fabric.  I already had colors in mind because I had auditioned them in the software ahead of time.  For the border, I chose a maroon with little gold stars and the same color of gold for the sashing.  For the cornerstones I chose a green that was in some of the fabrics in the blocks.

Now, it’s time to make up a block and see if it is what I expected it to be with the sashing and cornerstones.

I think this is going to work out well and today I finished the first row.

I’ll continue sewing the blocks row by row, and assembling them to make the quilt top.

Note:  Barbara has posted two labels that can be printed for the Civil War Quilt.

Published by


Lillian Applegate Westfelt was a mother of 4, grandmother of 6, and great-grandmother of 3. She was an 86-year-old widow living in a nice little bungalow with her oldest daughter and a beagle-dachsund named Addie. She passed away in November, 2018.

15 thoughts on “Civil War Quilt – Putting it Together”

  1. Beautiful colored blocks, and they work so well with the border and sashing colors. I need to get a program for the computer. It would be great to put my ideas up on the screen. I have been following the posting of these on Barbara’s blog and am trying to sharpen my skills to make one for my bedroom. Your daughter is so lucky to have such a talented Mom! 🙂

  2. Very nice, I don’t have Electric Quilt so will do it the old fashion way. I have enjoyed seeing the posts of bloggers who have put theirs together. Your colors of sashing and borders are nice with your prints. Don’t know what I will use until I lay mine out.

  3. Lillian,
    Thanks for guiding us through this. Your directions for making some of the trickier blocks was helpful. I only have about half of the blocks done, hope to catch up in the next few months and complete the quilt before the end of the year.
    Your quilt is going to be such a special gift for your daughter.

  4. Lillian,
    first up i need to thank you for posting the “how to’s ” each week, i don’t think i would have made it without some of your early posts, especially the squaring up size of each unit.
    Second,you may be too old to get on your knees, but you are a dab hand at EQ , I am seriously thinking its time i explored it.
    And last but by no means least, your quilt is going to be a wonderful heirloom, with all the memories you have included along the way. (Aka Quilting Gammy)

    1. Thank you so much for your nice comments. I’m not as adept with EQ as a lot of quilters, but it does come in handy for me quite often. I started out with version 5 and have had version 6 for a couple of years. I have felt it was worth the purchase.


  5. Beautiful!! I have sure enjoyed watching (and learning) as you have made these blocks! You have done a wonderful job! What a sweet and thoughtful gift for your daughter!

  6. looks marvellous clever to use EQ -derr I thought about it ages ago and then promptly forgot-I really don’t use it as often as I should..Thanks for all your tips along the way,cheers Vickie

  7. I’ve been looking forward to your finished lay-out–how nice it looks.
    I didn’t continue with the block project–although I could create the blocks to size–with help from your tutorials–I found I didn’t like the fussing with seam allowances that was necessary to achieve the correct size units–too much of my sewing time going to working toward the 8″ block. I completed enough blocks to make a table runner–may return at some point to experiment with others.

  8. It’s going to be just beautiful. I love the green cornerstones. Putting the blocks together still seems like a dream at this point. I’m way behind but hope to finish by the time BB takes down her blog. Thanks for all your help!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s