This is a salad that is a very satisfying meal – chicken, potatoes, fruit and nuts – all made more delicious by a bleu cheese dressing. The dates add a very special flavor. I cook the potatoes early in the morning so they have a chance to cool. Then, it’s a snap to put together the rest of the salad for lunch. My daughters and I really enjoy this hearty salad.
DATE-NUT CHICKEN POTATO SALAD
- 10 small potatoes (red or Yukon gold – 4 cups cooked and quartered)
- 1 large tart apple, peeled and chopped (1 cup)
- ½ cup toasted walnuts, chopped
- ¼ cup dates, chopped
- 1 cup cooked chicken breast, cubed
- Several gratings of black pepper
- 1 cup bleu cheese salad dressing (your favorite bottled dressing)
Place potatoes in a large pan, cover with cold water and cook until tender (25-30 minutes). Drain and let cool.
Peel potatoes if desired, quarter and place in a large bowl. Add chopped apple, chopped nuts and cubed chicken.