Since the weather forecast calls for 4-8 inches of snow tonight, I thought it was time for a soup I’ve been enjoying this winter It started out as a chicken and sweet potato soup, and turned into a Sweet Potato and Bean version which I like the best. It’s easy to put together and is ready in an hour.
EASY SWEET POTATO AND BEAN SOUP
- 1 Tblsp. olive oil
- ½ cup onion, finely diced
- ½ cup red bell pepper, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 4 cups homemade or canned chicken broth
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and diced into 1-inch pieces (about 3 cups)
- 1 can (14 oz.) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp. dried basil
- 1 tsp. salt
- A few grindings of black pepper
- 14 oz. can of cannellini beans (or Great Northern), drained and rinsed
In a large pot, heat oil over medium low heat and add onions and red pepper. Cook, stirring often, about 5-6 minutes, until softened. Add garlic. Cook 2-3 more minutes, stirring occasionally. Add broth, sweet potato cubes, tomatoes, cayenne and basil. Stir well, bring to a low boil, reduce heat, and simmer, uncovered, for about 40-45 minutes, until the potatoes are tender but not soft.