Stars and Pinwheels QAL – Block 2 – Flying Fan

Apron-PH (2)

Susan of Desertsky Quilting has posted the second block in her block-of-the-month series, Stars and Pinwheels QAL.  The new block is called Flying Fan.

This is an easy, fun block   I am using the blocks in this series to make a different project each month.  This month, I used four of the Flying Fan blocks – the original 12-inch block and three blocks I reduced to 7 inches (thanks to my Electric Quilt software).

I wear aprons all the time and thought a new one for the July 4th holiday was in order.  I like roomy aprons without strings at the neck or waist and with a good pocket.  I used a pattern which is adapted from a 1930s era apron I found in an antique mall.

The 12-inch block is part of the design element at the top of the apron and a 7-inch block was lined and is used as a pocket.

Apron-PH (3)

I had enough fabric left for two potholders, using the 7-inch blocks.  I like to make “slipcovers” for oven mitts and pot holders (this is how I do it).   I’ve been using some good-quality mitts/holders for over 20 years, laundering the “slip covers” as needed and replacing them when they become worn.

Apron-PH (1)

This was a good block to use in these projects and I’m looking forward to next month’s block which should be a star.  I’m already thinking what I could put in the center of the star and what the new project might be.

Apron-PH (4)

Star Cluster Block


One of my Mother’s Day gifts from my son and daughter-in-law in St. Louis was a two-yard length of some exciting fabric.  I love the silhouettes of a hometown marching band with exploding fireworks (click on photo to see fabric design).

I used 1-½ yards to make myself a patriotic coverall apron with a nice big pocket.


I used the remainder to make a pillow and desk mat.  Judy Martin (my favorite designer) had a BOM on her website called Star Cluster which I thought would work well with the fabric.  I used the marching band fabric along with red/white/blue scraps to make a 16 inch block which became a pillow …


…and two 12-inch blocks for a large mat for my father’s 1940s-era homemade desk.
012 013


Like all of Judy’s designs, she has taken an easy pattern and added her own twists to make it unique.

Thank you to my St. Louis family for a gift that multiplied itself into three nice items.


A Vintage Apron Clone

I’ve always loved vintage aprons, particularly the ones from the 1920s-1930s.  They are roomy, comfortable, cover a large area and don’t have strings to tie.  I’ve bought patterns in antique shops and online, but none of them was exactly what I wanted.  Recently, I noticed a vintage apron hanging in an antique store booth.  It seemed to be exactly the style I wanted.  I tried it on before leaving the store so I knew I had a good fit and bought it for $8 – less than most patterns.

I was hoping I wouldn’t have to cut it apart to get the pattern and I was lucky that there were only three pieces to cut – front, back and pocket – so I could easily trace around the apron onto tissue paper.

The apron was easy to assemble, using 2 packages of rickrack for the edges.

The original apron was of a thin white cotton fabric with narrow binding and beautiful embroidery.

I wanted a serviceable apron to wear to cook and clean up, and chose some remnant pieces that would stand up well in the kitchen.,

The only changes I made were to shorten the apron, make the neckline round, and to make a bigger pocket.

For $8, I still have a beautiful vintage apron to wear on special occasions and I have a very sturdy clone to put on tonight when I get ready to cook supper.