I adapted this recipe from one I saw a couple of years ago on Crockpot Recipe Exchange. It was easy to mix the ingredients and let them cook in the slow cooker for about 2-½ hours. The result was delicious – cheesy with a lot of chicken and a delicious flavor. I used the coriander chutney and didn’t need any additional seasonings. You might want to taste and add salt, pepper or some kind of hot sauce. I used this as an entree and it made a nice lunch for three people with leftovers for supper.
CHICKEN AND CHEESE DIP
- 8 ounce package of cream cheese. cubed
- 3 cups (12 oz.) sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 14.1 ounce can of diced tomatoes, lightly drained
- 4 oz. mushrooms, sliced and sautéed just until tender
- 2 Tblsp. dried minced onion
- 2 cups cooked chicken breast, diced
- 1 cup feta cheese crumbles
- 1-½ Tblsp. Coriander Chutney or 4 oz. can of diced green chiles
Put all the ingredients in the order listed into a 2-1/2 quart crock pot. Place the lid on and cook on low for 2.5 – 3 hours.
NOTE: STIR EVERY 30 MINUTES TO BE SURE THE CHEESE IS MELTING.
I like to serve this with Tostido scoops. Mixture can be kept warm in crockpot for up to 2 hours. Reheat leftovers in the microwave or in a small pan on the stove. This dip should be piping hot.
My youngest daughter is a busy stay-at-home mom who always finds time to get together with me on Fridays for lunch. I try to make meals that are tasty, quick and easy, and reduced in fat and calories. Here is what we enjoyed last Friday.
This is a tasty low-fat dish adapted from one I found on The Pioneer Woman Cooks. The count for the chicken and sauce according to my Diet Power software based on 6 servings is: 144 calories, 9.18 g fat, 56.9 mg cholesterol, 1.54 g carb, 0.2 g fiber. Additions such as rice and vegetables should be counted separately.
SLOW COOKER CAPER CHICKEN
- 2 boneless-skinless chicken breast halves, each cut into 3 sections
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 3 dashes Greek seasoning
- ¼ cup melted butter
- ¼ cup steak sauce (A-1 Steak Sauce)
- 2 Tblsp. capers in brine
Place the chicken breast pieces in the slow cooker. Pour lemon juice over the top and sprinkle with black pepper and the Greek seasoning.
In a separate bowl, mix the melted butter with the steak sauce and capers. Pour this mixture over the chicken breast pieces and cook for 4-6 hours on low.
I served this chicken and sauce with rice and steamed broccoli.