A Small Linus Quilt from Scraps

Linus14-top

I’ve been donating quilts to the Greater Cincinnati Linus Project since I first started quilting 11 years ago.  Most of the donations (4 to 5 a year) have been twin size, but I’ve been having back problems which ruled out making anything that large.  I thought maybe I could handle making a smaller quilt and wanted to use some of the red, white and blue scraps I’ve accumulated.  I chose a simple pinwheel pattern and sized it to make a 9-1/2 finished block.

linus14-block (2)

Our Linus group prefers fleece rather than backing fabric and batting.  I chose a bright red fleece and made the binding from strips of the red scrap material.

Linus14-bind

I didn’t add a border and used very simple straight line quilting on my Bernina.  The quilt finished at 30×40 inches – a nice size for a young child to carry around.

A Linus Quilt for a Little Girl

fullq

For the past 6 years, I’ve been making 3 quilts a year for the Greater Cincinnati Linus Project.  This year, I made an additional quilt.  I had bought some panel fabric on Etsy showing girls and boys at work and play.  I cut it apart and used the boy panels for one quilt and now I’ve used the girl panels for this one.  For alternate blocks I found an interesting block on my Judy Martin Stars & Sets software.  Judy has a way of giving a relatively easy block a twist and making it special.  This block is called Waltzing Matilda and is also in her book, Ultimate Book of Quilt Block Patterns.  There is a tiny amount of partial seaming at the very beginning of the block and from that point, it’s an easy block to piece.  It’s a good introduction to partial seaming for beginners.

matildaThe software was used to make a 4″ version for the border and I used the outline shape to quilt in the center of each 12″ block.

border

I used red calico as sashing to bring the panels to the correct size and did some decorative stitching in the sashing and borders.  Fleece forms the backing/batting as recommended by the Linus Project.

The quilt measures 40-1/2″x50″.  I hope some little girl in the hospital enjoys the bright colors and cute pictures in this quilt.

swing

A Storybook Linus Quilt

full0709The third quilt I made this year for donation to the Linus Project is one that was made with a large panel showing rows of storybook characters.

leftside

rightside

The top border incorporated a “Whirlwind” block from the Electric Quilt 6 software alternating with 9-patch blocks.

tophalf

The bottom border was all 9-patch blocks.

The backing/batting was light blue fleece and machine quilting was minimal, using free motion stitching around the rows of storybook figures and in-the-ditch stitching on the borders.  The inner border had decorative stitching going down the center.

pinwheel

The finished quilt measured 38″ x 57″.

The Linus Project distributes donated quilts and blankets to seriously ill children in local hospitals.

A Linus Quilt for a Little Boy

fullqEach year, I try to make 3 quilts to donate to the Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky branch of Project Linus which provides quilts and blankets for hospitalized children.  For my second donation this year, I used some fabric panels that I found on Etsy.  The beautiful, colorful images are of children at work and play.  I picked out 5 panels that featured boys and used fabric incorporating white stars on a red background for the sashing.

For the alternate blocks, I used a block called “Perky Split Nine Patch” from my Electric Quilt 6 software.

closeupFor the top and bottom borders, I used a technique for putting together small diamonds that I had seen on the Fons & Porter TV show.

I used fleece for the backing/batting, as recommended by Project Linus, and machine quilting was in-the-ditch and outline stitching.

The finished quilt measures 37×49 inches.

I hope some little boy will enjoy this quilt.

A Linus Quilt with a Vintage Look

fullqI like to make quilts to donate to the Linus Project which distributes blankets and quilts to hospitalized children in the Cincinnati area.  I’m always on the lookout for cute, kid-oriented fabric and found a remnant while shopping in Holmes County (Ohio) Amish Country last fall.  I thought the 1930s era panels would work out well with some type of filler block.  I tried out several patterns but wanted to avoid taking attention away from the cute pictures.  Since I always have scraps, I tried making a block with 3/4″ finished postage stamp squares and this seemed to be the perfect block to accompany the puppies, kittens, bunnies and kids in the panels.  Each postage stamp square block took about two hours to make but I used up a lot of small scraps and liked the vintage look.

top

seesawI used some pink, blue and yellow fabric to complete the borders….

bottom…and used a fleece backing, as recommended by the Linus Project.

backingAll of the sewing was done on my Bernina and the quilting was very simple and minimal since I wasn’t working with batting.  For the binding, I sewed together strips alternating in pink, yellow, white  and blue.

I’m not usually tempted to keep the quilts I make for the Linus Project because they’re designed to appeal to kids, but I wouldn’t have minded keeping this quilt with its vintage images from my childhood.  My granddaughter and her friend, George, liked the quilt, so I’m hoping some little girl in the hospital will like it, too.

sydbest