My youngest daughter is a busy stay-at-home mom who always finds time to get together with me on Fridays for lunch. I try to make meals that are tasty, quick and easy, and reduced in fat and calories. Here is the meal we had this week.
Friday was a beautiful fall day in southwestern Ohio and even a low-calorie, low fat meal looked pretty and tasted good. I made an old standby of tuna salad on sturdy homemade bread, topped with tomato and fontina cheese and heated under the broiler. Fast, easy and delicious.
MOM'S TUNA MELT
- Two 5-oz. cans of white albacore tuna, packed in water, drained)
- 1/4 cup finely chopped bell pepper
- 1-1/2 Tblsp. finely chopped onion
- 1 Tblsp. (or more) snipped fresh cilantro
- 1/4 cup low-fat mayo (Hellman’s Olive Oil Mayonnaise)
- 3/4 tsp. red wine vinegar
- Sprinkling of salt and grating of pepper to taste
- 6 homemade rolls, split, or 6 slices of sturdy bread
- 2 medium tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 6 thin slices of fontina cheese
In a medium bowl, mix together the drained tuna, bell pepper, onion and cilantro. In a separate small bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise and red wine vinegar. Add the mayonnaise mixture to the tuna and vegetables, add salt and pepper, and mix well. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
When ready to serve, preheat broiler. Place split rolls or slices of bread on a large baking sheet. Spoon the tuna mixture onto each roll/bread piece. Top with a slice of tomato and a thin slice of fontina cheese. Place under broiler until tuna is heated through and cheese is melted. Serve immediately.
Yield: 6 servings
Based on 6 servings, nutrition per DietPower software is: 233 calories, 8.25 g fat, 26.5 mg cholesterol, 235 mg sodium, 165 mg potassium, 2.63 g carbohydrate, .447 g dietary fiber, 11 g protein.
Weight Watchers: 5 points per serving
Dessert had started out to be Chocolate Kahlua Mousse, but I found I had only butterscotch instant pudding on hand. The butterscotch and kahlua made a good combination and a nice finish to the meal.
BUTTERSCOTCH KAHLUA MOUSSE
- One 4 oz. box of sugar/fat-free butterscotch instant pudding
- 1-1/4 cups 2% milk
- 1/4 cup kahlua
- 1-1/2 cups Cool Whip Lite topping, thawed
In a medium bowl, whisk together the pudding mix, milk and kahlua for 2 minutes. Fold in the Cool Whip topping. Spoon into 6 dessert dishes, cover and refrigerate for at least one hour.
Yield: 6 servings
Based on 6 servings, nutrition per DietPower software is: 160 calories, 3.67 g fat, 3.69 mg cholesterol, 239 mg sodium, 82 mg potassium, 23.6 g carbohydrate, 1.66 g protein
Weight Watchers: 4 Points/Plus per serving