Star Cluster Block

011

One of my Mother’s Day gifts from my son and daughter-in-law in St. Louis was a two-yard length of some exciting fabric.  I love the silhouettes of a hometown marching band with exploding fireworks (click on photo to see fabric design).
002

I used 1-½ yards to make myself a patriotic coverall apron with a nice big pocket.

005

I used the remainder to make a pillow and desk mat.  Judy Martin (my favorite designer) had a BOM on her website called Star Cluster which I thought would work well with the fabric.  I used the marching band fabric along with red/white/blue scraps to make a 16 inch block which became a pillow …
006

007

…and two 12-inch blocks for a large mat for my father’s 1940s-era homemade desk.
012 013

008

Like all of Judy’s designs, she has taken an easy pattern and added her own twists to make it unique.

Thank you to my St. Louis family for a gift that multiplied itself into three nice items.

 

July 4th Parade Tri-Stand Mini-Quilts

In the 1990s, my oldest daughter and I had a booth in a large craft mall in Cincinnati.  My contributions were mainly decorative art painted on vintage wood pieces and enamelware.  We had the booth for over 4 years and I made and sold countless pieces with designs sometimes from pattern books but mostly from my own sketches.  I’m not painterly at all and just did my thing with pen and ink accentuated with acrylic painting.

Although I haven’t painted anything since 1998, I kept all of my sketches and designs and thought I might be able to incorporate some of them into pieces for wall hangings or my mini-quilt racks.  First, I scanned the sketch which was bigger than I wanted for this project ….

…and then, using a light box, I went over the basic elements of the sketch with pencil.  I then scanned this sketch, made it the size I wanted and printed it onto June Tailor Colorfast Fabric Sheets for Ink Jet Printers.

I left the paper backing on the printed panel and painted the design with acrylic paint thinned with water.  When the piece was dry, I went over it and added details with an ultra-fine point Sharpie pen.  Then, the piece was pressed to set the colors and the paper backing was removed.

These panels were combined with strips of fabric to make them the correct size for my Tri-Stand table topper.  I added batting, binding, a sleeve and a label to complete the panels.  I also added a patriotic button to each that I found half-price at Joann’s.

I was pleased with how the panels turned out and since I don’t intend to wash them, the colors should stay vibrant for a long time.  It made me happy to be able to use an old familiar sketch again and to be able to do a little painting.

This particular design was used for 5 different projects which were sold from our booth.

Victory Quilts — Victory Block

This is the 18th of 20 blocks I’ve been sewing and posting from Eleanor Burns’ new Quilt-in-a-Day book, Victory Quilts – 1942 Sampler Blocks.  See other blocks I’ve completed in my Quilt Blocks category.

This is an advance skill level block called “Victory Block”.  Using a template and Eleanor’s clear directions, I didn’t have any problems with the block and think it’s an interesting patriotic example.

Victory Quilts–Liberty Star Block

We’re down to posting the last three blocks in Eleanor Burns’ new Quilt-in-a-Day book, Victory Quilts – 1942 Sampler Blocks.  See other blocks I’ve completed in my Quilt Blocks category.

This is an advance level block called “Liberty Star”.  Once I understood the way Eleanor had me marking and cutting, it wasn’t that difficult to do.  It makes a very nice patriotic star.

Victory Quilts–Star Spangled Banner

This is another “easy skill level” block from Eleanor Burns’ new Quilt-in-a-Day book, Victory Quilts – 1940s Sampler Quilts.  See other blocks I’ve completed in my Quilt Blocks category.

This block is called “Star Spangled Banner” and was easy to construct, using paper backed fusible web to make the stars.  It’s based on a 1941 block which is very appropriate for a patriotic theme.