This is my version of a recipe that’s been making the rounds of the cooking blogs. It’s an easy two-ingredient cake that is only 4 Weight Watchers Points/Plus for a decent size piece. I used the “super-moist” type with pudding in the mix and got a very good, soft cake that is a real treat for someone who has been dieting all week.
TWO-INGREDIENT LEMON CAKE
- 1 (18 ounce) box dry yellow cake mix (Betty Crocker Super-Moist – 18.25 oz.)
- 12 ounces diet lemon soda (Sierra Mist lemon/lime)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
Spray the bottom only of a 13×9 baking dish
In the large bowl of an electric mixer, combine dry yellow cake mix and diet lemon soda. Beat on low speed for 30 seconds to blend, then on medium speed for 2 minutes to thoroughly mix batter.
Pour batter into prepared pan …
…and bake @ 350 degrees F for 30-35 minutes until cake is golden brown and tests done when a tester is inserted in the middle.
Allow cake to cool on a wire rack. Cut into 12 pieces.
Cake may be served plain with the following nutritional count: per serving: 160 calories, 1.5 g fat, 35 g carbs, 0 g fiber, 1 g protein. Weight Watchers Points/Plus – 4
Cake may be served with 2 Tblsp. light whipped topping: 180 calories, 2.5 g fat, 38 g carb, 0 g fiber, 1 g protein. Weight Watchers Points/Plus – 5
Or cake may be served with one tablespoon of a reduced fat Lemon Cream Cheese Sauce (recipe below): 209 calories, 3.5 g fat, 41.9 g carbs, 0 g fiber, 1.2 g protein. Weight Watchers Points/Plus – 6
Servings: 12 slices of cake
LEMON CREAM CHEESE SAUCE
- 4 oz softened low-fat cream cheese
- 1 Tblsp. plus 1 tsp. lemon juice
- ½ cup confectioners’ sugar
So far, I have only tried this cake, but here are some other suggested combinations:
- Orange cake with diet Mountain Dew
- Cherry chip cake with diet cream soda
- Angel or yellow cake with diet orange soda
- White cake with diet peach soda
- Spice cake with diet lemon-lime soda
- White cake with diet ginger ale
- Chocolate cake with diet cherry soda
- Devils food cake with diet cola
- Chocolate cake with diet vanilla cola
- Devils food cake with diet vanilla cola
- Chocolate cake with diet root beer
- Marble cake with diet cream soda
- Lemon cake with tangerine Diet Rite
- Chocolate cake with diet Dr. Pepper
Note that the nutritional count might change a bit depending on what kind of cake mix is used. The count per serving can be found on the side of the box. Mix and bake cake according to package directions for the type of pan you are using.