I found this recipe over 10 years ago online (sorry, I don’t remember the source) and adapted it to make a nice, light luncheon or supper dish. I would prefer fresh peaches, but canned ones also work fine and give a little pep to this low fat, low cal meal.
Tipsy Chicken with Peaches
3 medium chicken breasts, cut into cubes
1 tsp. olive oil
Large onion, finely chopped
1 tsp. smoked paprika
6 green onions with tops, chopped
¼ cup orange juice
2 Tblsp. Bourbon
1 cup sliced peaches
Grating of fresh nutmeg
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F
Spray a 9 inch casserole dish
Place chicken cubes in prepared casserole and sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper. Set aside.
In a medium skillet, heat olive oil and cook onions over medium heat about 5 minutes. Add paprika and chopped green onions. Cook an additional 4 minutes.
Spread onion mixture over chicken; spoon orange juice and bourbon over the top and bake uncovered for @ 400 degrees F for 30 minutes, turning and stirring occasionally.
Remove chicken from oven and spoon peaches over the top. Grate nutmeg lightly over peaches and return to oven to bake for 15-20 minutes more until chicken is done.
Serve over hot rice.
Diet Power: ¼ of casserole with ½ cup rice = 278 calories, 3.7 g fat, 37.7 g carbohydrate, 1.99 g dietary fiber, 24.2 g protein.
My youngest daughter loved the bourbon fudge she had ordered online and I put together this recipe to try to duplicate it. It’s not exactly the same, but very good and very easy to make. This is an adult candy but the bourbon flavor is not too strong. It just adds a nice mellow taste to a creamy, rich fudge.
MOM’S BOURBON PECAN FUDGE
4 cups Ghirardelli milk chocolate chips (two 11.5 oz. packages)*
14-oz can Eagle Brand condensed milk
Dash of salt
¼ cup bourbon
1 cup coarsely chopped pecans
* You could use any kind of chocolate chips – our family is partial to both milk chocolate and Ghirardelli chips.
- Line an 8-inch pan with foil and butter the foil.
- In a large heavy saucepan, place chocolate chips, condensed milk and salt. Cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly until chips are melted.
- Remove from heat. Stir in bourbon gradually, stirring until smooth. Stir in chopped pecans.
- Pour into prepared pan and refrigerate for 4-5 hours until fudge is set and completely cool – the top should feel solid.
- Remove candy from pan by lifting foil. Peel foil from bottom of fudge and place on a cutting board. Score the fudge into the size pieces you prefer. The eight-inch pan will hold fudge that is about one-inch thick. Cut the fudge into squares.**
Store in a tightly covered container. Once the fudge is set, refrigeration is not needed – store at room temperature.
**Makes 16 two-inch squares of fudge. Note that these are BIG pieces of fudge. You could also use a nine-inch pan and cut the candy into smaller squares.